10 Questions You Need To Ask When
Choosing A Private Christian School
Are you considering a private school for your child? A school search can seem daunting, but arming yourself with the right information can make the job easier.
Whether your child is already in school and you’re considering a change, or if they’ll be heading to kindergarten in the fall, this list of 10 key questions will help you find the right school for your student.
- Does the school have a particular educational philosophy or mission?
This is a vital question that will impact what ideals your child will learn. Many parents seek a private Christian school to help ensure those ideals align with what they are teaching their children at home. At North Cobb Christian School, we provide a biblically based, academically excellent education in a nurturing environment, developing students’ potential to impact their world for Christ.
- How do your programs prepare students for college? What is the average SAT score or college acceptance rate of your students?
While almost every school claims to offer a college prep curriculum, numbers such as scores or acceptance rates tell you how well the school is meeting the goal of college preparation.
- Do teachers seem enthusiastic and knowledgeable, asking questions that stimulate students and keep them engaged?
When you take a tour, ask to be able to sit in several classrooms long enough to get a feel for the environment and observe teacher and student interactions.
- What is the average amount of homework each night for my child’s grade level?
A school’s homework expectations should balance rigor with time for extracurricular activities, family time, and sleep.
- Is tutoring or support offered for students who need extra help?
Most children are not strong performers in every single subject. Find out if the school has support systems in place to help students who may struggle in a particular area. Tutoring, coaching, learning labs, cognitive training, and more are helping students thrive and succeed in our school’s Moving Forward Program.
- Is the school accredited?
Accreditation shows the school has been evaluated by an outside agency and is dedicated to standards of excellence. North Cobb Christian School is accredited by two different entities - Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and AdvancEd (formerly SACS).
- What is this school’s approach to student discipline and safety?
While you may have a perfectly behaved child, it’s good to know if a school has policies that foster good behavior and a safe environment.
- How are the arts incorporated into the curriculum and what arts classes are available at various grade levels?
Research shows the arts build skills that increase academic performance. With 14 performing ensembles across all grade levels, as well as a strong visual arts program, students have abundant arts opportunities at North Cobb Christian School.
- What do you offer in athletics and what is your athletics philosophy?
Look for a school that considers athletics a tool to help students learn cooperation, sportsmanship, discipline, and other important principles. Find out if younger children have opportunities to try new sports.
- Are there fees in addition to tuition, such as lab fees, activity fees, uniform costs, etc.?
Add up the tuition plus any other fees you may be charged at each school you are considering. This will help you make accurate cost comparisons.
Discover North Cobb Christian School
Open houses are a perfect opportunity to get all your questions answered during your school search. If you’re looking for a private Christian School that can help your child thrive, plan to attend the North Cobb Christian School Open House on Tuesday, March 7, at 9:30am. The school is located at 4500 Eagle Drive, Kennesaw, GA. Register for our open house with our online form.